myparahangover

My ParaHangover

Enthralled: Paranormal Diversions

Enthralled: Paranormal Diversions - Jeri Smith-Ready, Kami Garcia, Margaret Stohl, Jennifer Lynn Barnes, Mary E. Pearson, Rachel Vincent, Ally Condie, Sarah Rees Brennan, Claudia Gray, Melissa Marr, Carrie Ryan, Kimberly Derting, Jackson Pearce, Jessica Verday, Rachel Caine, Kelley Armstrong This anthology did not disappoint me in the least! I read this around Halloween and it fit into the holiday season perfectly. Every story flowed into the next. When some got too "heavy", along came a story to rescue the mood. Here's my non-spoilery review of each story I read (and didn't read):

Giovanni's Farewell by Claudia Gray - A very sweet, touching short story that had me wishing for more of Ravenna and Cairo's story. I added Claudia Gray to my TBR pile. 4/5

Scenic Route by Carrie Ryan - Intense and generally freakin' outstanding! 5/5

Red Run by Kami Garcia - One of the best Halloween tales in this book. 4/5

Things about Love by Jackson Pearce - As soon as I finished this one, I ran to Goodreads to look at the series and promptly added As You Wish to my TBR pile. Loved the world! 4/5

Niederwald by Rachel Vincent - I couldn't resist reading this one without having read any of the Soul Screamers series. I wanted to see what Ms. Vincent's writing was like. I was able to understand the world in the short amount of time that a short story provides. I really liked the character of Sabine and I questioned if I would like Kaylee when I got into the series. Turns out, I love Kaylee so far (I'm doing the Soul Screamers Challenge right now) so we'll see what happens when Sabine enters the picture. 4/5

Merely Mortal by Melissa Marr - I skipped this story because I'm in the middle of reading the Wicked Lovely series, which this story is from. I believe I may have spoiled the series for myself because I couldn't control my curiosity and I started reading it. That'll teach me! no rating

Facing Facts by Kelley Armstrong - I skipped this story, as well, because it's a part of the Darkest Powers world she created and I wanted to wait to read the trilogy before I read this short story. no rating

Let's Get This Undead Show On The Road by Sarah Rees Brennan - This story was okay. It took me a little bit to figure out what was going on. Ms. Brennan had to spend quite a bit of the story setting up the world and dynamics of the characters before getting to the actual "drama" of the story. I may be a little critical of the story because the basic idea behind the story just kind of bothered me. So take my review of this story with a grain of salt. 3/5

Bridge by Jeri Smith-Ready - This story was in a format I have never read before. The format was a perfect fit for the sad tale. I really enjoyed this story and thought it was very well written. 4/5

Skin Contact by Kimberly Derting - This story comes from the Body Finder series. I think this part of Enthralled is where they decided to put all the sad stories because this one just tore me up. I can't say anything else... 5/5

Leaving by Ally Condie - I was curious about Ms. Condie's writing because I have Matched sitting in my TBR pile waiting for me. I liked this story and I thought she succeeded in writing a very "deep" piece in a short amount of pages. 3.5/5

At The Late Night, Double Feature, Picture Show by Jessica Verday - This was a quirky story that reminded me of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It was a fun read after all the serious stuff. I would like to see what a series would be like with the main character (if there is a series, I couldn't find it). 3/5

IV League by Margaret Stohl - Meh, this one just wasn't my "cup of tea". It was a well written story, don't get me wrong. But in an anthology, you're bound to run across something that isn't to your tastes. 3/5

Gargouille by Mary E. Pearson - I loved the fairy-tale-ish world of this love story. I just re-read it again and I got chills up my arms the second time, even knowing how it ends! That's a good story! 5/5

The Third Kind by Jennifer Lynn Barnes - This one is peculiar. You just kind of have to go along for the ride. Just a little warning: I didn't find all the closure I needed. Where's the series when you need it?! 3/5

Automatic by Rachel Caine - Finally, I skipped this one but I'm SURE it was outstanding. Why do I know that? Because it's Rachel Caine! Okay, so I'm biased.... I skipped this one because I'm only halfway through the Morganville Vampires series and this story is from that series. You're probably asking yourself, "Why is she such a big fan of Rachel Caine if she's only halfway through Morganville?" Three words: Weather Warden series! One of the first UF series I read non-stop! Brilliant. But I digress... no rating.