myparahangover

My ParaHangover

Darkest Mercy (Wicked Lovely)

Darkest Mercy - Melissa Marr Darkest Mercy is the amazing conclusion to the Wicked Lovely series. I'm going to repeat myself here and say that Melissa Marr's world and style of writing (her dark tone, really) are what make this series a favorite of mine. I wish that the series could continue in some form just so I could read more of her writing in this world. But at the same time, I totally agree with this book being the conclusion. You just don't want to drag a good thing on!!

All the main characters of the story, Aislinn, Seth, Keenan & Donia get their closure. Surprisingly, all the focus isn't on Aislinn & Seth. Ms. Marr is able to almost write this whole book for Donia and Keenan (um, no surprise there, Donia is on the cover). So while Ms. Marr works her magic tying up Donia and Keenan's HEA, she's able to weave through closure for Aislinn and Seth, along with other notable characters. I don't want to give names in case you want to be pleasantly surprised by who gets their Happily Ever Afters.

Again in this book, Ms. Marr is not afraid of surprises and major plot twists and turns. Some things I just never saw coming! I think that happened to me three times in this book. And I even had some of the plot spoiled for me by accidentally reading a short story before I should have (my bad!) a few months back.

The reason why I gave it 4 out of 5 stars is because it just didn't have the dark feel that Radiant Shadows, it's predecessor, or Ink Exchange had. I love Melissa Marr's dark side! And she left open some characters that I would have liked to have known what ultimately happened to them.

But to Ms. Marr's credit, to have so many characters woven together in such a way that they all come together for a final battle, it's amazing she accomplished as much as she did in this final chapter of the Wicked Lovely series. She skillfully wrote a lot of voices into this book and she beyond any doubt succeeded in creating a fitting conclusion to her hauntingly beautiful world.