myparahangover

My ParaHangover

My Soul to Save (Soul Screamers Book 2)

My Soul to Save - Rachel Vincent Soul Screamers has been a series I've wanted to start for a long time. Everyone raves about it! And rightly so, Rachel Vincent is an excellent author!! She gives an excellent teenage voice to Kaylee, the protagonist in the series. Written in first person, Kaylee acts and talks like a typical teenager who just so happens to have recently found out she's bean sidhe (banshee) and her long lost father has just walked back into her life after abandoning her for 13 years. Despite this, she's hopeful and blissfully happy with her new boyfriend, Nash.

The first book in this series, My Soul To Take, was fantastic. I loved it! Every page of it! It never slowed down or droned on. Ms. Vincent's sophomore entry into the series... meh, not quite so fantastic.

I was disappointed in how slow the first part of the book was. Kaylee mentions multiple times, almost word for word, how she's questioning Nash's intentions towards her. This is a point of contention that carries over from the first book so I got it, the first time. And I really couldn't feel sorry for a pop-star with a missing soul. She sold her soul! How can you not think that would end badly?!?!

Not giving any spoilers away but Tod really disappointed me, too. His personality and actions in MSTT led me to believe he was going to be a better person than what his actions said in this book. Bummer. I had high hopes for him...

But once I got past the slower beginning, the story really took off and Ms. Vincent's writing really shined. I was definitely rewarded for sticking through the slower parts of the book with the introduction of new impressive characters and an exciting ending.

Looking at other reviews of My Soul to Save, I think a lot of others felt the same way about this book as I did. But I certainly didn't feel like I wasted my time reading this book! Just don't go into it hoping for another My Soul To Take.