myparahangover

My ParaHangover

Dark Kiss (Harlequin Teen)

Dark Kiss - Michelle Rowen 4.5 stars!

This is the first book from Michelle Rowen that I've had the chance to read. Oh, as an author, she's been recommended to me twice by two different friends for two different series of hers. Her book The Demon In Me sits on my shelf eagerly waiting for me (life story for a lot of books I own). But when I saw this new series involving angels, demons, and piercing blue eyes on a guy named Bishop (one of many awesome character names in this book), I knew I had to snag this one to review it. I devoured Dark Kiss in two days.

Right from the start, we're literally thrown into the action right along with Bishop. I mean literally thrown, as in "out of the sky to the ground"-type of thrown into it. No lag of the world building here. Told in a first person, Ms. Rowen's writing is quick, engaging and not overly burdened with flowery, descriptive wording. My kind of style. As a straightforward urban fantasy, I think the story is extremely appropriate to the YA audience.

The thing I loved most about Dark Kiss were the twists, turns and "No Freakin' Way!" 's that were perfectly timed throughout the story. I absolutely hate when some twists pop up in stories that are pulled completely out of thin air, completely made up on the spot to solve a problem or add drama. Ms. Rowen had none of those! Every single curve-ball made complete sense and wrapped up nicely into the story. And on top of that, Ms. Rowen didn't shy away from hurtling grenades.

The only reason why I didn't give this a 5 star review (and I could have, very easily) was because Samantha, our protagonist, sold herself as being a reformed bad girl who used to lash out with humor and petty larceny. I just didn't see that being "fleshed out" enough (wow, big college-like terms, huh? Ohio State was worth something). I wanted more humor, more snark! Maybe next time around. Oh, and I'll be waiting for the next one!

Dark Kiss will be out on May 22, 2012. You can read chapter one right HERE on Michelle Rowen's website.

The next book in the series, Wicked Kiss (Nightwatchers #2) has a planned released date of March 2013 (UGH!!!).