myparahangover

My ParaHangover

Ironskin

Ironskin - Tina Connolly Well, I’m going to start off by admitting that I’ve never read Jane Eyre. Nope. Never. Classics? I avoided them like the plague in High School. Yup, I’m an idiot. I own it.

Do you have to know Jane Eyre to enjoy Tina Connolly’s Ironskin? Nope. I had absolutely no problems enjoying Ms. Connolly’s debut fantasy novel! I’ve had a thing for the fae (or “fey” in this case) ever since reading Anita Blake (no, not Merry Gentry, Anita! Really!). But I digress…

World Building – This is where the beauty in the story lies. Ms. Connolly takes us back to the turn of the century and the industrial revolution. The amazing and intriguing spin is that humans have been relying on fey technology for many years and have become dependent on it. When the “Great War” between the fey and humans erupts, humans are cut off from the technology and have to go back to inventing new ways to light their homes, move their cars, etc.

These are not the traditional fey we are accustomed to reading about. This is a new world, a different fey.

The first chapter has Jane approaching her new employer’s home where she will work as a nanny. Jane is describing in vivid detail how half the majestic home was destroyed during the great war and lays in a pile of wreckage. She’s also noticing that the house is a fey-built home because of some the details she is noticing about the home.

It’s the little details and the rich, vivid descriptions of the setting that pulled me in and had my feet firmly planted next to Jane’s. I really got lost in this amazing world Ms. Connolly built. There’s more I could go on about I think I’ll leave the rest for you to discover on your own.

Characters - I think where Ms. Connolly’s strongest characters were was in the supporting “cast”. My favorite was the butler, Poule. Every character is a mystery and I believe that is the driving force behind the story. You’re endlessly trying to figure out who everyone is, whether they are good or evil, and what they’re up to.

Edward Rochart is quite the conundrum. I actually did some research and looked up his role in the story structure and he is what is known as the “Deuteragonist”. As defined by Wikipedia (yeah, yeah, I went there for help), and I’m paraphrasing here because I can’t quote to save my soul, a deuteragonist is the second main character and you never know if they are aligned with the main character (protagonist) or against the main character. That fits Edward to a tee – spot on!!!

Again, I found myself reading and reading trying to figure out what in the blue blazes was going on!!

Story & Tempo – I think this may be where some readers may have a tough time with the story. There is a bit of world building and setting up for the big finale. It takes a while to get there so the story is a bit slow going at first. In my opinion it’s just ramping up to ending – steady as she goes. If you’re an action junkie – this may not be the book for you. But if you like dark tales of fey, good vs. evil (and trying to figure out who really is the evil one), and rich historical settings then you might just like this one!

This one really snuck up on me slowly and truth be told, I wasn’t completely sold on my four star rating at first. But if I’m thinking about a book and it’s character’s days after I read it, that’s a good book in my opinion.