myparahangover

My ParaHangover

Trapped (The Iron Druid Chronicles, Book Five)

Trapped - Kevin Hearne Let us pause for a moment to gawk at the beauty that is Atticus on the cover of the newest installment in the Iron Druid Chronicles, Trapped. *swoon*

Okay, chick moment over… but MY GOD, that is one mighty fine cover!!! It’s so hard to imagine he’s 2,000 years old and still loves giving the bad guys his unique style of wedgies. Too bad there were none of those in this book. But hey, he was too busy running around with Granuaile trying to get the woman bound to the earth with all his enemies chasing after him. With 2,000 plus years to amass enemies, there were quite a few gunning for Atticus now that the kitty (my lame reference to Freyja) is out of the bag that he’s not dead.

Story / Tempo

The story starts out with Atticus preparing the final binding ceremony for Granuaile to become a full-fledged Druid. I think it’s bat-ass* awesome that Mr. Hearne has moved his series along to the end of the 12 years of Granuaile’s Druid training and we don’t have to wait to see Atticus and Granuaile working together. That was the entire appeal of this book to me. We’ve seen Atticus working with all the other major supernaturals up until now and to see how powerful Druids can be when you get a couple of them together, AWESOME! I think they could be pretty unstoppable. Unfortunately for them, everyone was testing that theory.

Honestly, with all the scheming and “who is working for who” going on, I got a little lost on who was ultimately conspiring against Atticus. In the end, it didn’t really bother me all that much that I thought there were some loose ends. First, it totally could of been me not following closely enough (hey, that happens). Second, Atticus is ALWAYS going to have some enemy out to get him, no matter how hard he tries to fix things. So it doesn’t really matter to me if it’s all tied nicely with a bow. Something or someone will always come back to bite Atticus in the you-know-where.

As for the pacing of the story – I had absolutely no qualms with it at all, but I’ll discuss this further in a minute.

Setting / World Building

Mr. Hearne does his usual fantastic job painting pictures of worlds that can only come from his mind. My favorite is anytime anyone travels on the World Tree. I’ll just leave it at that…

Characters

I almost don’t want to discuss the characters because the appearance (and disappearance) of characters plays into the story. I like meeting all the new characters, don’t get me wrong. I just wish we could go back and spend more time with some of the old characters. But if you’re stuck running away from gods and such, I guess you can’t hang with the old buds from the ‘hood, huh?

Of course, Oberon continues to get the best lines from the book. I can’t do a review without sharing at least one!

"I’m going to do a Rick James parody in your honor, Granuaile. ’She’s a very clever girl, the kind you don’t take home to Ogma. She will never give you Brussels sprouts when she could give you steak.’" – Oberon

This was a solid 4 star read for me. I really, truly enjoyed the battles, the struggle and process to get Granuaile bound to the earth, and there were some issues that really had me thinking, “Man, after 2,000 years Atticus is still an ass sometimes!” That is always fun stuff to read!!!

Now, if you hadn’t noticed yet, I’m quite the little fan-geek about Kevin Hearne. I have no clue why, I just think he writes some of the funniest shit (sorry, there was no other word that fit quite as well). In his books, Mr. Hearne tends to go off and become quite the story teller. I think this might turn off some readers because for some, it could totally grind the story to a big fat halt. But I think I’ve got Mr. Hearne pegged – he’s just this guy that has a ton of stories and characters floating around in his head that make up a ton of legends just waiting to come out and be told. He’s like the Dungeon Master of a D&D game. He’s going to be weaving the story behind the game and you just follow along with tales he spins. If you play, get ready for the ride…