myparahangover

My ParaHangover

Vengeance Bound

Vengeance Bound - Justina Ireland 3.5 stars

review appears on My ParaHangover

Ever notice that there are authors who are great with crazy story ideas and concepts and on the other side there are authors who do a fantastic job building worlds and characters to live in those worlds? But it’s the rare and fantabulous book that combines all these qualities; combines both the crazy unique story idea with the well fleshed-out supporting world and characters. These books for me are ones written by Kim Harrison, Patricia Briggs, Rachel Vincent, or Darynda Jones. Why am I discussing this in a review of another book? Because Vengeance Bound has the super crazy-awesome story idea but for me it just lacked a little hutzpah in the character department. I just needed to explain where I’m coming from; why I thought it got half the recipe correct.

Setting / World Building

Where the story starts is in a mental institution. We’re then off to a small town in Pennsylvania where Cory has relocated herself to so she can continue her hunt for her former psychiatrist. She’s looking to exact revenge for all the pain and suffering he’s put Cory through. At this point in the story, it isn’t clear exactly what has happened. We’re not even sure if he’s as evil as Cory makes him out to be. Because anyone with “personalities” in their head are usually considered short on rolls in their bread basket. You’re just going to have to let this story play out to find out who did what to who.

Cory is stuck with the Furies in her head and their need to feed their hunger for fear and death is pretty strong at times. Cory longs for a portion of her life to be “normal”. So she enrolls in the local high school and goes through the act of being just like every other teenager there. Ms. Ireland did a great job illustrating this typical high school and it’s surrounding small town, showing us where and how Cory lived, and all the places she travels to hunt her prey for the Furies. And even though this story is a typical urban fantasy, we do get a few pretty cool dream sequences with some whacked out settings.

Story / Tempo

In regards to story telling, it was slow and steady all the way to the end due to a lot of the details being held back as part of the slow reveal to the ending of the book. Often times that drives me batty because I find that I get distracted by not knowing what is going on. Then I get lost on what is actually happening because I’m still trying to piece it all together, and it’s a big crazy catch-22! This time, I let my mind go, let it all play out, and it worked out just fine. You just can’t get too wrapped up in figuring out the mystery before it’s revealed to enjoy this one.

Characters

Cory, our protagonist and narrator, was just “meh” for me. Her personality seemed a little wishy-washy. At times she acted like an old soul trapped in a young body with the smarts that went along with it. Then at other times she acts like a typical teenager. I know she was “posing” as a teenager in high school every time she went to a new school but it shouldn’t be such an act for her. I just couldn’t pinpoint a clear direction for Cory’s personality. That kind of frustrated me.

Add on top of that some nasty high school students and I was generally turned off by the supporting cast. But that’s a completely personal thing for me – some readers might like the nasty high schoolers. I just happen to think nasty high schoolers, in general, reads like Gossip Girl. Not for me…

BUT, even though I wasn’t fan of the character development, I have got to say this book had THE best ending of a book that I have read in a very long time. Extremely well done, couldn’t have been more perfect.

I think if you want to read something that is completely different than anything out there and has one of the classiest, most perfect endings, you should give this one a shot. Just keep your mind open to some of the flaws.