myparahangover

My ParaHangover

SPOILER ALERT!

The Goddess Inheritance: The Goddess Test Novels

The Goddess Inheritance - Aimee Carter This final book in the Goddess Test trilogy utterly shredded me. After the huge dangle-me-off-the-bridge ending of Goddess Interrupted, I was ready for some happiness to fall Kate’s way. Kate’s happily-ever-after is a long fought battle but so worth every word to the very end.

SPOILER WARNING: If you haven’t read any of the previous books, my review has spoilers for those books!!!

Story / World Building / Setting

The Goddess Inheritance picks up Kate’s story nine months into her pregnancy. She’s been held captive by Calliope with Cronus’s help on the Titan’s island. Cronus is busy trying to destroy his children (and the world, for that matter) for imprisoning him. Calliope just wants to punish Kate and steal Henry back. It’s a tiny bit more complicated than that. If you’re still reading this, you already know that or you’re just punishing yourself by spoiling the previous books and continuing to read this review.

Immediately, we’re thrown into action. There wasn’t one part of the book that sat stagnant, lulled, or otherwise bored me! Even at times when Ms. Carter was explaining the setting, painting the landscape with words (to be slightly poetic) I was completely engaged with the story and always waiting for the next shoe to drop. Or in this case, waiting for the next person’s move. It was an entire game of chess squashed into the story. And I loved it!!! I love stories involving strategy!!

Characters

Kate has come a loooooong way from the timid, naive girl in The Goddess Test (book one). Her entire reason for being has been completely changed in the last nine months and now it’s not all about her. She has a child to protect and Henry to get back to. She knows what she wants, she just has to work on her execution a bit. And maybe a little patience. But she’s in an impossible situation that more times than not, tore my heart out. And it wasn’t always over her child. Her relationship with Henry was the main heartbreaker for me. I won’t go in to details but, yeah… Kate earned her HEA.

I think the best part of the story was that being the final book in the trilogy, Ms. Carter held absolutely nothing back when it came to the supporting characters. Ava, Ava, Ava… what are we going to do with you??? It can’t be free-love for everyone! Ava comes out of this book as one of the most complicated of all the characters. And that’s saying a lot considering all the characters are pretty messed up!

But if you can hold on to the end, brace yourself, you’ll be rewarded with an ending you never saw coming and perhaps a conflict or two you’ve been dying to happen before this! This was the best book in the trilogy.

I hope that some of the openings left by Ms. Carter towards the end of the book work their way into novellas or books in the future even though she’s moved on to a new series (The Blackcoat Rebellion). Keep your eyes out for that later this year around November.

Review appears on My ParaHangover