myparahangover

My ParaHangover

These Broken Stars

These Broken Stars - Amie Kaufman, Meagan Spooner Holy original and epic adventure! So glad I stuck with this :)

Full Review...
The cover pulled me in and made me want to read this book – it IS an amazingly beautiful cover, is it not?

My fellow bloggy friends’ reviews kept me reading the story when I thought I might put the book down for good.

And it was the last third of the book that absolutely MADE this story classic, epic, heartbreaking, and so, so satisfying.

I love science fiction! I just don’t get to read enough of it. Done right, there is just something so beautiful about the unknown universe and the possibilities that we can imagine. Ms. Kaufman and Ms. Spooner blew me away with what turned out to be a completely unique story and a beautiful world they built for Lilac and Tarver to navigate through.

Honestly though, it took me a bit to realize that I had such a gem in my hands. You see, the story is a bit of a slow burn. There is quite a bit of introspection, conversation, and overall character growth that goes on for a good amount of the book. Once I got whisked off on the imaginative ride towards the climatic ending, I felt the fantastic ending totally made up for the slow building beginning!

To start the story, though, we meet Lilac and Tarver aboard the Icarus, an enormous “spaceliner” that is the flagship of Lilac’s father’s fleet. If the name of the ship doesn’t immediately clue you in to impending disaster, I think the overall bravado of the upper class can pretty much seal the deal on their fate. When an accident occurs on the ship, Lilac and Tarver end up in an escape pod together and crash land on a nearby planet.

The story is written in dual POV so we see both sides to the story as Lilac and Tarver struggle to survive on an unknown (uncharted at least to them) planet. They both are worthy characters to become invested in and fall for. Their story is a “classic” love story but with a science fiction spin on it that only adds to the crux of the love story. It never distracts from it.

The positive side to the slow, methodical beginning? You see all the little instances that gradually add up to major changes in the main characters. Lilac is definitely one of my favorite heroines of the year!! You can just guess that she probably did the most changing between the two of them.

Overall, this story really kind of blew me away; it’s one of those types of stories that will stick with you for a while. If you can hold on, wait to see what’s coming next, I think you’ll appreciate the reward of an ending!

updated 12/27/2013: Looking back at this story, because no joke, it WILL stick with you, I don't think I appreciated the subtlety in the beginning of the book that built up to the "craziness" towards the end.

Review appears on button1