myparahangover

My ParaHangover

One Tiny Lie: A Novel

One Tiny Lie - K.A. Tucker So, I recently read K.A. Tucker’s Ten Tiny Breaths and I absolutely loved the story and her writing. So what could Livie’s story be about? I mean, she was THE perfect little sister! I don’t want to spoil anything for those of you who haven’t read Ten Tiny Breaths but she really appeared more mature than her older sister, Kacey. So we, the readers, all assumed she had her act together and would do just perfectly fine away at college. But it turned out that trying to be perfect is what nearly broke Livie.

Livie finally gets to focus on herself and the plan for her future that she’s always had set in place. This plan has been set in place since she was a little girl and all she ever wanted in the world was to make her parents proud. She was the smart kid and she never caused trouble, wanted to save the world from cancer. She was going to follow her dad’s footsteps and go to Princeton. She was going to major in Molecular biology and go into pediatrics. Phffft, no problem…

Except that it’s her sister, Kacey, that’s escorting Livie (and Livie’s roommate Reagan) to Livie’s first off-campus party. It’s there that she meets Ashton and calamity ensues. Livie can’t get Ashton out of her mind but he is not part of the grand master plan. He is definitely not the “good, respectable guy” Livie assumes her parents would ever approve of.

The great thing I’ve noticed about Ms. Tucker’s stories is that so far the stories are not all just surface romance fluff. They end up being so much more than what I was expecting. Where Ten Tiny Breaths dumped me off the ledge with a huge twist near 75% through the book, this one will spin you out of control about 15% or so into it. At least it did for me. And the entire story is built upon lie after lie over lie under lie… I was constantly on my toes from all the lies, my heart was stretched and pulled like silly putty. I seriously ached for a HEA for these two kids that looked like it was never going to happen.

The story completely captured me and entirely held my attention so much so that I didn’t even know I was getting to the end until I was close to it and, yep, rug pulled out from under me. Geez, I took a beating on this one, didn’t I?

But I guess I’m a glutton for punishment because for this review, I went back and re-read the entire book again. I enjoyed Livie (our narrator) so much and she was just a fun character to read. She’s had so much to deal with in her childhood that I think she forgot to have a childhood. But she is a spitfire and full of snark. I think the most entertaining parts were when Livie had to talk to Dr. Stayner. Hysterical….

But most of all, I truly fell in love with Ashton and how he was with Livie. They were made for each other. And on my re-read, I got so much more out of their interactions. This is definitely a book you can read multiple times.

Not sure if I really wrote a review here or a love letter to a book and it’s characters. This was just one mighty fine book!

If you read Ten Tiny Breaths, you really need to do yourself a favor and read One Tiny Lie. It really is an adorable second book in the series that doesn’t even come close to sophomore slump. It might even be considered better by some readers.

Since I thought both books were perfect, I’ll just say read them both and decide for yourself. On to book three for me!! And there’s a book four expected June 24th, 2014. It’s called Five Ways to Fall and it features Ben and Reese.

Chop chop… better get caught up!

Review appears on button1