myparahangover

My ParaHangover

Impulse (Mageri, #3)

Impulse (Mageri, #3) - Dannika Dark What started out as what I would call a strictly Urban Fantasy series, book three in the Mageri series has become a hybrid of sorts. Dannika Dark balances the action and mystery of a traditional UF with a romantic storyline featuring a hero that if HE doesn’t make your toes curl, I need to check you for a pulse.

This is one series you want to read all the books in order. At the heart of this series is the evolution of Silver into the world of Breed and what she has become. To fully appreciate the storylines and characters, trust me and start at the first book, Sterling and then read Twist. It’ll make this review tricky but I’ll try not to give anything away to spoil the previous books in the series.

Setting / World Building

Impulse has us back in Cognito, the city where the supernatural all like to live and play. We go back to a few other haunts from the past books and leave the city once but the book predominantly stays set in Cognito. Because this series is still an UF, there isn’t much difference between our current world and the book’s world. Except for maybe those pesky Breed…

Characters

Holy bad guys!!! I thought Silver had bad guys out for her before. We meet a big nasty from Logan’s past that has it out for Silver. But lucky for her, we meet another new boy in her “harem” of men because this one is assigned to guard her. You just know with Silver’s personality that they get along like oil and water. But I really like this new guy’s take on Silver’s life and he has no problem telling Silver “how it is”.

Speaking of Silver’s “harem” of men. One of the things that had me a little worried in the first book was the amount of men in Silver’s life and the fact that you knew one of them had to be her love interest. Now that we’re at the third book and still adding men, you’d think I would still be worried that Silver’s love life is going to be a big ‘ole mess. Nope! Thank you, Ms. Dark!!! I absolutely LOVE Silver’s relationship that she has with each of the men in her life. From her Ghuardian/Learner relationhip with Justus that is so close to a father/daughter bond to her best guy-friend Simon, every relationship is different, complex, and gets the appropriate attention it needs for the storyline to progress.

Story / Tempo

Impulse continues with the same hunt for the bad guy(s) who are ultimately responsible for Silver being who and what she is. In addition to the heart-stopping action towards the beginning of the book, there’s a lot of time spent on Silver and Logan’s relationship. We learn even more about Logan’s world in a very tense scene played out over a cocktail party involving other women pawing at Logan. I’m still having a hard time believing Logan would let anyone but Silver touch him but hey, that’s why I don’t write the books, I just talk about them. I don’t think I’ve given too much away. Just know that there’s some big time (but well written) tension with Silver and Logan. Oh, and there’s tension between Justus and Silver, but isn’t there always? And there’s tension between Silver and …. you’ll just have to read to find out!!

Overall, the pace and flow was perfect for me! Not once did I really feel like I wanted to put the book down. Something always came up to make me put it down (*sad eyes*).

If you’re looking for a new Urban Fantasy series but you want a bit more romance added in, then you’ll want to add Dannika Dark’s Mageri series to your TBR shelf, pronto!! And if you’re caught up with books one and two, you really want to hurry up and read this one!