myparahangover

My ParaHangover

The Darkest Secret (Hqn)

The Darkest Secret - Gena Showalter 4.5 stars ~ I admit it, I had Amun’s story sitting in my TBR pile for some time. But like a lot of other reviewers, I saw Amun as kind of a boring hero. In all the previous books, he was always the steady, dependable guy. Add in the fact that he wouldn’t talk, I just wasn’t moved to jump on this book. I finally needed my LOTU/Gena Showalter fix so I was stuck; I had to start this book. Boy was I in for a surprise. Right off the bat, it grabbed me in and kept me reading almost non-stop.

The story picks up after Amun has returned from the Underworld, his mind completely overwhelmed by demon minions. Strider has also just brought his Hunter prisoner, Haidee, home to Budapest. Many other characters also return home, which is nice to see since so many have been away. I’ve started to miss some of the brother’s interactions with each other.

I seem to be a sucker for “enemies-becoming-lovers” stories but this one is different because of the depth Gena wrote into the tale. Her usual snippets from the other Lord’s were pretty well balanced with the central story and didn’t either stall or overshadow the main story. I think Strider was such a huge part of this book not just because his book was next but because he was a central figure in the main love story.

Gena Showalter is one of my authors I go to when I need a good PNR to cuddle up to. What made this book stand out from the rest was her story weaving between the past and present, great action and, oh yeah, hot romance. Add in some heavy crying at the end and that was my cuddling night.

I can always depend on Gena for great story weaving and spectacular romances, but Darkest Secrets was all around a stellar addition to the series.