myparahangover

My ParaHangover

Immortal Rider (Lords of Deliverance, Book 2)

Immortal Rider  - Larissa Ione 3.5 stars
The second book in Larissa Ione's Lord of Deliverance series, we continue where book one, Eternal Rider, left off. Reseph, one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse has become Pestilence and he's wreaking havoc (major understatement) on the world. This time, Limos, the Horseman (Horsewoman?) who will become Famine if her "seal" breaks, has to protect said seal. At the same time, she's trying to get out of her match made in Hell with Satan.

On top of that, this book was very heavy in the sub plot for Thanatos and Regan, the Horsemen known as Death and the Aegis demon slayer, respectively. The one thing I really liked about the first book in this series was that the story stayed focused on our main characters with few subplots to muck up the landscape. But with Immortal Rider, Ms. Ione seems to have gone back to her Demonica series-style of having many plots interweave into another. In this case, it seemed like Thanatos and Regan was a good half of the book. Maybe it was do that or have the next book in the series, Lethal Rider, be super duper long!

Perhaps because of all these distractions, I just couldn't get connected to Limos. Usually I have no problem with the heroines in Ms. Ione's series'. But Limos just didn't do it for me. Maybe it was all the lying she was doing throughout the book. It just drove me a little batty every time she lied and sabotaged herself. Arik was an entirely different story; he always reminded me of "Kynan-lite" so I've been in love with him since we first met him in the Demonica series. I really enjoyed finally hearing his POV! Such a guy's guy - *swoon*.

And that's why Larissa Ione is one of those "go-to" authors for me! I will always read anything she writes. She writes hot, sexy, strong characters and manages to work in terrific spins to those characters that I would've never seen coming (case in point: Reaver and Harvester). The emotional baggage she writes into her characters and has them work through is always smart and so worth the reward at the end (hmmm, sexy sex, please?) But ultimately, it was all the back and forth between plots that lowered my rating from a 4 to 3.5 rating. This one just never grabbed hold of me...