myparahangover

My ParaHangover

The Goddess Legacy: The Goddess QueenThe Lovestruck GoddessGoddess of the UnderworldGod of ThievesGod of Darkness (Harlequin Teen)

The Goddess Legacy - Aimee Carter About two weeks ago I barreled through the first two books in Aimee Carter’s Goddess Test series, The Goddess Test and Goddess Interrupted. This was one of those series I always meant to get to but… yeah, life and all those glittery, shiny things that catch my eye and get in the way. But once I started The Goddess Test, I was taken in by this extremely unique take on the Olympians of Greek Mythology.

The Goddess Legacy is a collection of short stories, each one focusing on one of the pivotal characters from the series. Even though each short story is centered around one character, you will still see all the other characters from the first two books.

The first story, Calliope’s, has almost all the characters in it. I think this story is one of the most important stories in this book, giving insight into so much that the first two books in the series don’t even have time to cover. It’s also the most heartbreaking one, in my opinion. I often found myself thinking, “this is so painful, why am I reading this car-wreck of a tale?” but you just can’t stop because the story is so good and you just need closure.

The second story, Ava’s, was a true eye-opener. That’s all I can say without spoiling anything.

I have to admit something here… I HAD to skim through Persephone’s story. She infuriates me beyond compare. And her story really did nothing for me but take up too much space in the book. It was well placed in the middle of the book, though. Yup, where you’ll usually find a lull…

James’ story was a surprise. His “voice” in this story was slightly different (younger, less jaded?) than his voice in Ms. Carter’s first two books. It got a little meandering in the middle but it wrapped up in a nice bow at the end. Totally worth the meandering in the middle.

Henry’s story was slightly disappointing. All the previous stories were told in the first person. And then all of a sudden we get switched back to third person for Henry’s story. I wanted to hear Henry! Grrrrr (yes, I am growling in frustration, I do that). Being Henry’s story, it’s the story you want to end the book on. It did have an amazing ending that brought new light to certain things in the first two books so it closed the loop on the short story collection perfectly. Okay, I’ll give Ms. Carter a pass on the change in POV, if only for the story itself being good.

If you’re a true fan of the series you will revel in this behind the scenes look into the character’s history. It gives great insight into what made them the “deity” they are today and why they make the decisions they make everyday. If you’re not familiar with the series, you might feel a little lost. I also think some of the story’s impact will be lost if you haven’t read the first two (and a half) books. You’ll miss out how these stories shape what they’ve done in their futures (which, cleverly, we already know).

Thank you to Harlequin Teen (via NetGalley) for providing a copy of this book for my unbiased review!