myparahangover

My ParaHangover

Bound by Night (The Moonbound Clan Vampires)

Bound by Night - Larissa Ione Larissa Ione has a new series... SQUEEEEE! Yes, I'm a total fan-geek of hers and I'll read anything she publishes that looks remotely like a book. But this is an entirely new series and world for her. Not a spin off in any sort of way, shape or form. And my GOSH, the woman can write! Passion, tension, conflict with blood, gore, and mysterious world-building thrown in - LOVED IT!!!

Gee, should I even bother with the rest of the review? Well, let me give you a sneak peek for those of you who love your paranormal romance (PNR) but are still on the fence about this one...

Characters

Like most all of Ms. Ione's books, this book is written in dual POV (which I happen to enjoy most) and our heroine is Nicole, the daughter in a very wealthy family. What drew me into this book was Nicole's back story. The story starts right off with a flashback to when Nicole was eight years old. Her mother and father are murdered by vampires and she survives. She goes on in life to study vampires and becomes an expert in their physiology. She's also become the CEO of her family's company; a company that uses vampires for experiments and also uses vampires as slaves.

Nicole is actually the reluctant CEO of the company and she really has no interest in running a company. She's much happier in a laboratory. She's actually a fairly complex character. She grew up with a vampire for a nanny who pretty much raised her. Nicole loved her nanny probably more than her own distant mother. This gave Nicole a soft (perhaps weak) spot for vampires. But then again, it was vampires who murdered most of her family.

Enter Riker, our other protagonist and hero of the story, who lost his mate while she was pregnant. She had been working in Nicole's estate when it happened so he blames her entire family for his mate's death. Yep, you can see where I'm going with this. Impossible, pig-headed vampire with vengeance on his mind, meet your worst nightmare: a smart, young, attractive human who you really want to kill... in theory.

Story / World Building / Tempo

Turns out there is soooo much more to this story. A bit different than her Demonica and Lords of Deliverance series', MoonBound Clan seems to have more "political" intrigue. Oh, there's still some good 'ole fashion fight scenes and, well, you know *waggles eyebrows*. But I get the feeling that this series will have more depth into the world building of vampires or just go a bit deeper with story (does that make sense? I'm lost on how else to say that)...

Either way, what I've told you about the story so far is only the tip of the iceberg. The supporting characters stand on their own, the story stays consistent the entire 400 pages (no lulls), and I was actually surprised by some of the happening in this "world" Ms. Ione has built. This is not your typical vampire world! Make sure you remember that going in - there are new rules, especially the differences between born and made vampires.

And the Epilogue to this story - simply incredible :) Way to leave me hanging until the next book, Ms. Ione... ugh!

Review appears on button1